Monday, August 10, 2009

Miso Experiment 1: Aubergine 'Dengaku' Style


The Boy and I have been discussing having a few vegetarian meals each week. Aubergine (or 'eggplant', as people this side of The Pond call it) is a soft but robust vegetable when cooked, and a fair substitute for meat.

Aubergine 'Dengaku' Style is one of my all time favourite dishes to order at Japanese restaurants, but it is not commonly found on the menu in Houston. It is, however, an easy dish to make at home.

Ever since I discovered that my favourite Asian grocery store in Houston, H-Mart (Blalock/I-10), carries a variety of miso pastes, I've been experimenting with various miso dishes. In my next post, I shall put up the recipe for a deliciously simple miso salad dressing. For those in a hurry, Whole Foods carries a smaller but adequate variety of miso pastes too.

Tonight's recipe called for 'hatcho' miso, which can be substituted with red miso paste ('akamiso'). The recipe is from Harumi Kurihara's acclaimed 'Japanese Home Cooking'. Served with rice and Braised Cabbage.

RECIPE: AUBERGINE 'DENGAKU' STYLE

A - Vegetable
1 Aubergine

B - Miso paste
6 tbsp 'hatcho' miso
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake (I substituted this with extra dry Vermouth, which I always carry in my pantry)

C - Garnish
Toasted sesame seeds

A - Cut the aubergine in half lengthwise. Run a knife around the edge and score the flat surface in a lattice pattern.

In a skillet, heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil. Fry both halves of the aubergine, flesh side down, until it browns. Then turn it over and cover loosely with foil. Continue cooking until almost cooked (approx. 10 mins).


B - While the aubergine is cooking, mix the ingredients for the miso paste and heat in a saucepan over medium heat until it thickens. Turn off heat.

When the aubergine has cooked, transfer to a baking dish. Spread 2-3 tbsp of the miso paste on each half of the aubergine. Cook under a broiler for approx. 5 mins.

C - Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.


2 comments:

  1. I am planning to try this same recipe from Harumi tonight. I wonder if there is another decent substitution for the sake or Vermouth, though I guess it wouldn't kill me to keep a bottle of one or the other on hand.

    What really caught my attention, though, is that you have "The Boy" whereas on my blog, I have "Boyfriend." How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - I think a dry white sherry will work fine. A second best substitute is Chinese rice wine, which is cheaper but has a stronger taste.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete